Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Song of Ice and Fire, aka Game of Thrones.

    I've finally done it.  After debating for months and months whether it was worth reading 5000+ pages when I watch the TV show anyways (and tv adaptations are always sooo true to form right?), I decided to take the plunge and begin the series A Song of Ice and Fire......or as you probably know it, Game of Thrones.
    I wanted to let anyone who may be following the blog know this, because it means I won't be putting up any summaries anytime soon.  I read fast, but not that fast.  This series is definitely going to take a while to get through, and I don't see the point in writing summaries of each of these books when there's a whole freaking "Game of Thrones" wiki that tells you everything you could possibly want to know about these books. I don't feel I could add anything in that aspect as I tend to go into way too much detail in my summaries.
     For example, Blood Red Road was around 300-350 pages (I think), and if you noticed, I wrote a mini novel as the summary.
     I will however post reviews after I finish each book on what my thoughts are after the end, and feel free to put in your two cents on what you thought in the comments as well.  I'd love to know if someone interpreted a scene differently than I did!
    I've already read the first novel, and although the TV show definitely did the book justice, there are so many little things that you just don't get from the small screen.  For one thing, I never really understood what started the war (the war that ended the "Mad King"s reign and also the war being fought currently in the show), and the book explained all that extremely well.
     Personally, I was a bit shocked at the lack of sexuality in the books, as the show is known for it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I prefer my books to have more depth than that and it's refreshing to see it; I was just surprised. The books truly are about the characters and story rather than the embellishments that HBO gives it on the screen.
     Is there incest and war in the books? Yes, but take for example the scene from the tower in the show when Bran is paralyzed. You see everything, and I do mean everything, going on between Cersei and Jaime, but in the books it's just mentioned that Bran hears laughing and hears Jaime say "come here" to Cersei and when he sees them, he sees two naked people and realizes who it is.  That's it.  It's inferred that an incestuous relationship is happening, but it doesn't go into graphic detail the way the show does.
     Now, later on in the series this may all change, I have no idea, but I'll be very happy if it stays this way.  See you all in a month (or two) after I've finished these and gone back to other series! Remember, Winter is coming!

P.S. How do you know if someone's read the Game of Thrones books?  They'll bloody well tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment