Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Friday, May 5, 2017

Little Heaven by Nick Cutter review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29430791-little-heaven?from_search=true

3 stars out of 5


     Okay, so here's the thing: my low star rating may make it seem like I didn't enjoy this book but I really did. I absolutely devoured it in just a few days, which is really saying something considering I've been in one of those "reading ruts" where I look at my books and I want to read but then get distracted with work, cleaning, life....and just don't finish  more than a couple pages at a time before I get bored. Surely it's not just me that does that, right?
     The writing and world building was excellent and I really came to feel for the characters. So why the 3 stars? Well, I found myself skimming a lot. I honestly think this book could have been about 50 pages shorter and nothing have detracted from it. After the 4th time of the "things" in the woods being described down to every minute detail I began skipping over the constant reiterations. I guess the detail was a little bit TOO good in it.
     Also, this has nothing to do with the level of writing or the greatness of the story but that ending pissed me off. I get that characters get killed off in books but he totally could've thrown that shiz from outside the cave and still escaped. I know that's vague, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers here, just trying to express my displeasure with said person's death grr. Overall, definitely worth reading for the horror fan, but it's not exactly one for the ages that will haunt me in my sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment