Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Friday, April 6, 2018

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo review



     Okay, I know I am so late to the party on this one but now I see why it has such a following.  The characters absolutely make you fall in love with them.  I am particularly fond of Inej but there wasn't a single character that I was like "please can we just get back to the other person's story!" Nope, they are all great and equally as unique.  
      I got a lot of "The Night Circus" vibes from it with the different types of magic and the time period it seems to be set in but I felt that it was more well written and thought out than that book was, plus there's more than just magic at play; it includes badass ninja thieves who are amazing at hand to hand combat so yeah, much more exciting than Night Circus was for me!
     My one sadness is that the book ended on such a cliffhanger.  I knew there was a second book but for some reason I thought it was more of a prequel than a sequel, so of course I had to immediately buy the second one from Amazon!  I bought Six of Crows in a softcover so I'm not sure what the hardcover variant looks like but OMG book 2 is GORGEOUS in hardcover!  The edges of the pages are red and yes, it smells realllllly good (you guys know I'm a sucker for a good book smell haha)!
     Anyways, all I can say about this book is READ IT! So many twists and turns I was always kept guessing and wondering who's good and who's evil and where the plot was leading, and then once it happens you're like "wait, WHAT!"  
     The author does an incredible job with the world building too, I felt like I could truly see the cities she describes in my head and I can still picture them clearly even a few days after finishing.  As I was reading it I kept thinking of that movie "Now You See Me", i.e lots of heist stuff with magic thrown in.  I know a lot of people didn't like that movie so I'm sorry to make that comparison, but rest assured that I believe this was written waaaaaaay better than the plot of that movie with much more interesting characters too.  I can't wait to start the 2nd book!  

4.5 out of 5 stars
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment