Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor

    It's been so long since I wrote a review or summary that I'm pretty rusty.  I somehow managed to get caught up in the world of Destiny (it's a video game for those who don't know) and I've greatly neglected my reading for the past month because of it.  Enough of my excuses though, let's talk about the book...
     From the second I started reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone I was in love with the writing and characters, so I thought I would be equally as passionate about this book.  Although it did have some great elements in it and was worth reading, I didn't feel the same connection to these characters as I did with Karou and Akiva from the beginning.
    Be forewarned that every story in this book is pretty depressing.  No feel good love story here, just pages of wanting and never having.  The writing and world descriptions are just as on par as Taylor's other great work, and I look forward to reading her next book when it's released, but I just hope we get some memorable characters.  I've honestly already forgotten the names of the main characters in the first two stories of the novel even though I just read them yesterday, so yeah....not exactly any "Karou worthy" moments in this one.
     I feel like I've put Karou and Akiva on a pedestal so high that no other fantasy characters will ever touch them, so this in itself could be the reason for my disappointment in this book.  Definitely read it just to enjoy Taylor's style if you've never read her books before since this one is a quick read and will leave you wanting more, and then go grab Daughter of Smoke and Bone and hang on for the ride :)

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment