Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Walled City by Ryan Graudin review

     Wow, it's been 2 months since my last post on here!  I really need to start reading more!  Sorry to everyone that reads the blog; I just haven't been able to find many books recently that haven't been DNF's (did not finish).
     I tried Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick, Zodiac by Romina Russell, and a few others, but I've been very disheartened with these, as they truly felt like YA rather than something that a person of my age (aka, someone who isn't a young whippersnapper anymore) would have any interest in.
     I'm sure teens will probably love those books, and I may go back and give Zodiac a shot at some point, but for me they just didn't do it.
     I kept seeing glowing reviews on Goodreads for this book so after reading the synopsis I knew I had to give it a shot, especially considering it was based on a real place...a place I'd never heard of before reading the book, but a real place that sounded terrifying nonetheless.
     Well, it was just okay.  Not great, not awful, just okay.  I loved Jin but her sister irked me to no end, and let's just say the "love story" left a lot to be desired (love at first sight anyone? yuck).  The ending wasn't rushed exactly, but the epilogue was only 4 or 5 pages long and could have definitely used more oomph.
    I feel it would be a good beach read for mindless entertainment, but if you're expecting a thought provoking piece based on a historical event, don't even bother with it.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment