Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah review

This book broke me.  I thought I was getting into a wilderness survival story but it was so much more.  I've never been to Alaska or the Pacific Northwest but Kristin Hannah's writing brought me there.  I feel like I can actually still smell the trees and see the lakes and feel the cold and it amazes me.  It's very rare that I come across an author anymore that I'm like "oh my God, I have to find everything they've ever written and I need it NOW" but this book did that to me. 

It's also pretty rare that I cry when reading books.  A few have gotten me before but never like this.  I didn't feel like I was reading about a character, I felt like I was living it.  I related to this story in a way I didn't think I would.  Yes, my mom was in an abusive relationship with my dad which I've talked about previously and that was another theme in this book, but that's not what I'm talking about this time.  It was the bond between daughter and mother that really made me feel part of it.  I've always been close to my mom, but reading about the journey Lenora and her mom went through and their ending reminded me so much of the bond with my mom that I cried like a little baby for the last 75 pages or so. 

I can't say much more without giving away a lot of stuff, but if this book isn't made into a movie within the next few years I will be highly surprised.  Gorgeous gorgeous writing from Kristin Hannah, I'm so glad I decided to pick this one up at the bookstore a few days ago.  An absolute must read and now on my favorites list.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


1 comment:

  1. This book takes a part of your heart with it! Must be made into a movie.....I can imagine some of the actors who would fit the parts.

    ReplyDelete