Welcome to The Spoiler Alert!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Eliza and her Monsters by Francesca Zappia review


    The first half of this book was 4 stars for me but it quickly went downhill.
     I wanted to slap Eliza through the last half of this book, not because of her anxiety disorder, I get that and I understand it, but for how disrespectful she always was to her parents.
     I know what you're going to say: "all teenagers act like that", but she took it to a whole new level. She wouldn't even ANSWER her parents when they asked a question and would instead roll her eyes or just walk away from them while they were still talking. Call me old fashioned, but my mama would've skinned my hide if I did something like that to her!
     Sure, my teen daughter has off days where she's moody but she's never as bad as Eliza and never gets a super condescending tone with me and I can't help but think that a young impressionable girl might read this book and think that this behavior is okay.
     Isn't it hard enough to raise a teen without an author making someone as bratty as Eliza a "heroine" in a book?
     Should her parents have posted what they did? Absolutely not. Should they have made more of an effort to learn about what she was doing online? Absolutely.
     This book made it seem like everything that happened to Eliza was her parents fault though, when in all reality Eliza pushed them away enough to where they had given up and just let her be so as to avoid her super emo behavior and uncalled for outbursts.
     I know that everything can't be a John Green novel where the parents are best buds with the kids, but this was too much. Eliza got a happy ending when I think she should've been grounded instead to be honest.

2 out of 5 stars

1 comment: